Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mi Primera Cena en Mi Casa


One of the things I missed most when I was living with a host family was being able to cook. If you know anything about me, you know I love food and I love to cook. My long stretch of unemployment allowed me to experiment and cook often. I'm very excited to have my own kitchen where I can get back to my love of cooking. I'm lucky that my apartment is across the street from a fresh fruit and vegetable market. So I can get fresh and local produce right at my doorstep!

My roommate, Erika, and I decided to have a dinner party for our friends. We decided on an Asian dish. So we went to el mercado Democracia and bought all of our supplies. Chow mien is very popular here so that was easy to find. There are a few veggie restaurants where you can buy tofu so we bought some nice, firm tofu. Then the veggies: red peppers, green onions, garlic, snow peas, broccoli, y jalapeƱos. For dessert red bananas, fresh pineapple, y mandarins with honey.

Raw ingredients

Mandarins
Red bananas
Snow peas
red peppers
jalapeƱos
broccoli
chow mein
sesame seeds






We had a great time eating, drinking, laughing, and speaking Spanglish. Thanks to mi Sarita who made delicious guacamole!!!!!

3 comments: